With this treat I wanted to duplicate one of our favorite cookies in an ice cream. I looked up a couple recipes, but I didn’t want ice cream with monster cookie in it, I wanted the ice cream itself to have the flavor of the cookie.
Because of that, this is an involved recipe. It’s not super simple, but I promise you can do it! And I also promise that it is totally worth it!
We have made this several times this summer and we all love it. The ice cream all by itself tastes like oatmeal cookie dough (fabulous!) and then adding the peanut butter and M&M’s just puts it over the top!
Definitely a new favorite at our house, and will be for a long time.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate m&m's
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Bring the milk, 1/2 cup brown sugar and salt to a boil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Lower the heat and add the oats and cinnamon.
- Simmer for a few minutes, while stirring, until the oatmeal has thickened slightly and has a creamy consistency but not completely soft.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup brown sugar together.
- Add just a little bit of the milk mixture and whisk. Very slowly add the rest of the milk mixture a bit at a time, whisking constantly and quickly so that there no bits of cooked egg in your ice cream.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Cover with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight, to cool.
- When ready, make according to ice cream maker directions. In the last 5 minutes of mixing add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and freeze until desired consistency is reached.
Recipe adapted from Pastry Studio
Another Recipe You Might Love…