It’s Favorite Friday again so I’m going to share with you one of the staples around our house a super healthy homemade granola.
Breakfast is important. The most important meal of the day, right?
Personally, if I don’t get a good breakfast, my whole day is shot (in terms of eating healthy and feeling good). And I have a rather complex relationship with eggs. We’re not always friends.
I love cereal, and I really like some of the not-so-healthy, sugary stuff. But, oh-my, that is a terrible start to my day.
This granola has no added sugar, but is not lacking in flavor or in sweetness. The fact that my husband likes this is a big deal. If anything is healthy, he automatically thinks he won’t like it. But, he’s the one who lets me know when we’ve run out and that I need to make more!
There’s nut and dried fruit and seeds and just all sorts of good stuff to make this our favorite granola. We have adapted this recipe a few times to make a couple other granolas like this peanut butter one and this chocolate one.
Try it, and I know you will like it as much as our family does!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup grape nuts
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup craisins
- 1 cup currents
- 1 cup chopped cashews
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl mix oats, grape nuts, wheat germ and powdered milk.
- Combine honey and oil in small pot and heat over medium-low and stir for a few minutes to combine.
- Pour honey and oil over the dry ingredients and mix all together.
- Pour onto a large jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then stir and bake for another 10.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
You can really use any dried fruit you want in this; raisins, dried cherries, etc. And since dried fruit is not really my favorite, but I love the texture it adds, I only use 1 cup most of the time and I use whatever I have in my pantry.
You Might Also Enjoy:
I really want to make granola I can’t wait to try
I hope you do try, Jennifer. It’s pretty easy and it’s so much better than store bought!
Becca from ItsYummi!
This would be the perfect snack for me to have at work. Thanks for the great recipe, Jodie!