I am a big fan of granola, both homemade and not. I love chocolate in all varieties. I am not a complete fan of all types of fruit, but a little bit can sure add something to many recipes. This Chocolate Cherry Granola is one of those recipes. The cherries give it just a bit of sweetness, just enough for the perfect breakfast.
I am also very excited that Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday this year. Not because that means I can have a date with my husband. I mean, it probably does. But to be honest I haven’t even thought about that yet and the babysitters have all probably already been taken.
No, it’s because on Saturday I have time to do something fun for my favorite meal of the day: breakfast.
There are so many fun things to do for a Valentine’s breakfast. With just the pink or red or heart shaped things, the possibilities are endless. Then if you add to it strawberries or raspberries and it just gets more crazy. I mean, did you see my last post with all the yummy Valentine’s ideas? There was a whole category for Breakfast ideas!
But there aren’t very many chocolate and cherry ideas for breakfast. And definitely nothing like this Chocolate Cherry Granola. So I decided to try this one out for you. And it is so worthy of Valentine’s Day. And any other day you want a really yummy breakfast. That is good for you! Now how do I define ‘good for you’?
Well, it’s homemade. Which means you get to control what goes in it.
It has fruit in it. Yes, it is of the dried variety, but in my book fruit is fruit.
Whole grains, people. Whole. Grains.
See, totally a healthy breakfast. Even with the chocolate.
The chocolate will bring the kids and then you’ll get them with the fact that it’s way better than that other sugary stuff they want.
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together oats and coconut. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, honey, sugar and salt and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, whisking constantly until smooth and the sugar is melted and then stir in the vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the oat mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring and turning every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Add cherries, almonds and chocolate chips. Stir to distribute.
- Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.