Update 5/2017 – These German Chocolate Brownies are still a definite family favorite. We have these often and are usually requested for the purpose of making the shakes as well.
German Chocolate Brownies.
Homemade Brownies (the best, in my humble opinion). Topped with melted chocolate. Then melted caramel. AND an amazing Coconut Pecan Frosting.
Don’t you want a bite right now? Because I do. Right now as I’m typing this I wish I had one left. But these disappeared. Quickly. Mostly because my husband turned some of them into something else fantastic that he was insistent I share with you. And I will be in a few weeks. Not to tease you or anything, but just try these fantastic brownies and then think of making it more decadent and amazing.
I mean, really, is there anything bad about these? I tell you that there is not. But, we love all things German Chocolate.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened or melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 oz. milk chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup kraft caramel bits
- 1 recipe coconut pecan frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Melt baking chocolate by placing in microwave safe bowl and microwaving on medium for 1 minute, then in 30 second intervals stirring after each one, until melted.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl for brownies (sugar through vanilla), and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool. While cooling, make frosting.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute. Drizzle to cover cooled brownies.
- Melt caramel bits in the microwave for 1 minute. Drizzle over chocolate layer.
- Top with coconut pecan frosting. You may need to place in the fridge to harden.
- Enjoy the gloriousness!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla in large saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes. Make sure to stir consistently for at least 10 minutes!
- Add coconut and pecans.
- Beat until thick enough to spread.
- Pour over your favorite brownie or cake.
- You can place in the refrigerator to harden a bit.
Idea and frosting recipe from I Heart Naptime