I know that carrot cake is not for everyone. It’s kinda weird, I will admit, putting vegetables in a cake. But I actually love vegetables. In just about every form. The only exception I can think of is Jello. Vegetables do not belong in Jello. Just a personal opinion.
Anyway, I love the flavor of carrot cake and the spice that goes with it, and these cupcakes do a great job of being super tasty like that all by themselves. Really, they don’t even need frosting.
But if you’re going to do something you should do it right. And this frosting is definitely right. Right for these cupcakes, right for pretty much any cupcake or cake, right for eating with a spoon.
So, these cupcakes would be the perfect treat for any spring time gathering and are sure to be a huge hit!
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 pound carrots, washed and ends trimmed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.
- Shred carrots finely on a box grater or food processor and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, applesauce, water and vanilla.
- Whisk in the sugar until evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, spices, salt, soda and baking powder.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, just until moistened.
- Gently fold the carrots into the batter until mixed evenly.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely.
- Top with the best cream cheese frosting ever.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Mix cream cheese, vanilla and butter with electric mixer until light and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the frosting and stir to combine (just don't over mix or the frosting will become too stiff).
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Café*
I’m citing Mel’s Kitchen Café for this recipe, because that is where I found it, and I think she has awesome recipes. I found this recipe a few years ago for carrot cake that she cited as being from a reader, Alisha O. After making and loving the recipe, I went to comment on how I liked them in cupcake form and realized that the reader who sent the recipe to her was none other than my roommate from college! So, credit where it’s due: this recipe is originally from my good friend Alisha.
Looks like an awesome recipe and I love that it uses less oil than most recipes I see.
I know, Mary Ellen! Yummy and healthy(ish:)
Becca from It's Yummi!
These look SO good!
I love recipes like this and I would really love one right now.
Joanne T Ferguson
G’day! Love carrot cake!
Me too, Joanne! Thanks!
Jen (Carlsbad Cravings)
I love that your recipe calls for applesauce – I can taste the moist cake already! Can’t wait to try these beauties!
They really are, Jen! That’s what I love about them, well one of the things!
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads
Carrot cake is my absolute favorite!! These cupcakes look so good!
I love carrot cake! It’s one of my favorites and I agree veggies are great in some things. I enjoy zucchini bread and desserts too.
Lucy, zucchini is one of the ones I like too! I hope you enjoy these!