Nothing says I love you like a chocolate cupcake. And if you have to choose a cupcake, these Chocolate Mint Cupcakes are spectacular! The cupcake is moist and very chocolatey, while the mint is just the right amount; not too powerful. A wonderful cupcake can be ruined by a bland or boring or bad frosting, though, and the other way around. There is none of that going on here. Because we just wouldn’t stand for it.
The frosting is a basic cream cheese frosting turned into something spectacular with the addition of white chocolate and mint. Something about the dark chocolate in the cupcake and the bit of white chocolate in the frosting just makes this one of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had. And I’m sure you’ll agree.
Unless you don’t like mint and chocolate. In which case, we can’t be friends.
Okay, we might still be able to be friends, but it’ll be a little awkward.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup special dark cocoa
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in sugar and salt.
- With your mixer on low speed add eggs, one at a time.Then add the vanilla, water, vegetable oil and buttermilk.
- Mix on medium for 2 minutes until combined.
- Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until set.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack, wait until completely cooled to frost.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened (1 1/2 packages)
- 4 oz. white chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppermint.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Place chopped white chocolate in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on medium power for one minute, stir. If not all the way melted, microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each until completely melted.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the white chocolate and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Frosting recipe is all me
You Might Also Enjoy: