So, apparently hand pies are a thing. I knew that there were fruit hand pies. But there’s also the other kind. The savory kind. We’ve been making something similar for a long time, but didn’t really have a name for them. We called them chicken pillows or meat buns or other really kinda lame names like that. Well, a hand pie isn’t really a much better name, but like I said, they’re a thing. Enter these Buffalo Chicken Hand Pies.
These are really good. Anything buffalo chicken is a favorite at our house, and I love the crunch of the celery in these pies. We did try this filling with pie crust, but it was way better with the crescent roll dough. And did you like how I put a heart on the pie to make it Valentines-ish? I’m just awesome like that.
If you think this looks tasty and want to make your own, why not enter our giveaway for your very own mini hand pie press and $30 in Fandango Gift Certificates! You can enter HERE. Giveaway is happening from February 3 – 10, 2014!
- 2 packages refrigerated crescent rolls
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons buffalo hot sauce
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken breast
- Heat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray.
- Unroll crescent rolls out and press to seal the seams.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients together until well blended. Set aside.
- If you have a hand pie press, use the back side to cut the crescent rolls to the right size. Place one crescent piece on the bottom of the pie press, and place 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in the middle.
- Place another crescent cut-out on top and press with the pie press or crimp closed with a fork.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
1. If you don't like blue cheese, you can replace it with an equal amount of sharp cheddar.
2. If you don't have a pie press, you can either cut out rectangles 2-1/2 inches by 4 inches from the crescent rolls and crimp together with a fork. Or you can just wrap the crescent roll around 1 tablespoon of the filling and seal together, for the whole pillow effect.
3. For an appetizer, I used a donut cutter to cut out the dough, and put a very small amount (about a teaspoon) in the middle, then fold over and pinch edges closed. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Serve with bleu cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
4. For freezer meal, after baking and cooling, place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 2 hours, then place in freezer bags. I like to double bag, and these would be easy: use a sandwich size bag for each pie, then place 4-6 bagged pies in a gallon size freezer bag.
You Might Also Enjoy:
3 Ingredient Crock Pot Meatballs
[…] 2. Buffalo Chicken Hand Pies […]