We have a lot of Mexican food at our house. It’s one of our favorites.
But until this recipe, we were seriously lacking in the dessert category.
We made this tres leches cake when my in-laws were in town and it was a smashing success. My three-year old was allowed to put the sliced strawberries on top and did a fantastic job.
This tres leches cake would be a fabulous dessert for Cinco de Mayo, or just a regular old Sunday afternoon. No need to only make this once a year, it’s delicious enough to be enjoyed all year round!
It takes a bit of time on account of the milks having to soak into the cake, but it’s definitely worth it!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 lb strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 13x9 inch pan by spraying well with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Separate eggs, placing the yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high until pale yellow.
- Stir milk and vanilla into the yolks, then pour over the flour mixture and fold gently until combined.
- Beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form.
- While the mixer is on, add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff, but not dry.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter, until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Turn cake out onto a rimmed platter or baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
- When cake is cool, poke with a fork several times. Make sure to get the whole surface of the cake, including the edges.
- Slowly drizzle all of the milk mixture over the cake.
- Place in the fridge to allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Whip the remaining heavy cream with 3 tablespoons sugar until thick and spreadable.
- Place sliced strawberries on each piece of cake for decoration and an added yum.
Adapted from Oh, Sweet Basil
Another Recipe We Think You’ll Love…