Are you ready for Valentines Day? I’m so ready for yummy treats like these Lemon Strawberry Butter Cookies. So, I maybe got a little excited about the whole heart aspect of Valentine’s Day. It could be because it’s the easiest way to make something regular into something special, or it could be because our house is run by a 5 year old little girl and she would definitely approve.
When it comes to these cookies, though, everyone approved. They are just a light cookie with the perfect amount of all the delicious flavors. And to make the hearts on the top really just takes a few more minutes of your time that is totally worth it if you’ve got a little girl, or girls that would be very excited to have a cookie with a heart on it.
I’ve added a few more pictures with this since the heart part is a little more visual. These were really fun to make and even more fun to eat. I hope you try them and enjoy them too. If you want easier, and not-as Valentine like, still use your pinkie to make one simple indentation in the middle of the ball of dough.
- 1 cup real butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned lightly into measuring cups and leveled with knife
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- For the Glaze:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 5-6 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 drops liquid yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream butter and sugar for about 1 minute. Add lemon zest and mix to combine. Slowly add flour and mix, making sure to scrape down sides.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, about ½ tablespoon of dough. Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Use your pinkie finger to make 2 intersecting indentations in each of the balls of dough, like a V (or a heart).
- Fill with about ¼ teaspoon jam. Use a small measuring spoon or a baby spoon to spread the jam into the shape of a heart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or just until set.
- Cool 3-4 minutes on pan and then transfer to cooling rack.
- For the glaze: when cookies are cool, whisk glaze ingredients together and place in a small zip top bag. Snip off a very small corner of the bag and drizzle glaze over cookies.
Adapted from Our Best Bites Savoring the Seasons Cookbook