Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you all!
I think that this has always been one of my favorite holidays. It’s just good fun: Leprechauns, wearing green, good food, pinching, rainbows and Irish jigs. Who doesn’t love a good Irish jig?
You don’t have to buy presents for anyone, or go to any great lengths to prepare (unless you choose to, and that should only be done in the sake of fun).
Do you like my table runner in the picture with the pizza? My grandma made it for me and sent it to me with a poem reminding me of my Irish background. Again, FUN!
So, we this is what our little family has done for the last few years for our dinner on St. Patrick’s Day. We make pizza, and we turn the pizza GREEN!
The kids love it (okay, my husband probably loves it the most) and they get to have what they love. This year we did a very simple cheese pizza (as in, instead of sauce I put a little melted butter mixed with garlic powder so that it wasn’t JUST cheese), but we’ve done our fajita pizza, as well as pulled pork pizza, and chicken cordon bleu pizza. The possibilities are endless.
For the crust, I simply adapted this recipe a little so that the green would show up better. No matter what kind of meal you decide for this most fun of holidays, I hope you enjoy and do a little jig!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 -3 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in sugar and warm water until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add oil, salt and food coloring. Mix.
- With mixer on low, or stirring slowly, add the whole wheat flour and enough of the all-purpose flour for the dough to shape into a ball.
- Dump out onto a clean floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough, and roll out into the desired shape, thickness.
- Add sauce, toppings, and plenty of cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness of crust and amount of toppings.
I LOVE the look of this green crust! 🙂 What a clever idea & an easy festive treat for St Pat’s!