This dark chocolate loaf cake came out way better than I even hoped it would. I tried a couple different recipes to get exactly what I had been craving (sometimes those weird pregnancy cravings that need to be exactly fulfilled turn out to be a good thing for you). And this was it! Super chocolatey, moist and not too sweet.
Even better was the fact that it only took dirtying one bowl! For a cake! You’ve got to love that! I know that I do.
Anything that makes my life more simple and less mess to clean up is a fantastic thing to me. Especially now that we have, once again, a tiny kitchen.
If you love dark chocolate, whip up this taste dark chocolate loaf cake. Top with your favorite berries and homemade whipped cream and you’ll have a treat you can’t say no to!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dutch cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In large bowl, or bowl of a mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add sugars and beat for about 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat well, then add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl and mix it all in to the wet ingredients just until combined. Don't overmix but make sure they are all well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Serve plain or topped with berries and whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Another Recipe We Think You’ll Love…