Our family first found Candy Cane Kisses a few years ago and have been making a version of this cookie since then. These Candy Cane Kiss Surprise Cookies were a great way to make it fun for the kids.
This year, though I decided to change things up a bit by putting the kiss inside. These cookies are delicious and a special holiday treat no matter which way you make them. The kids all enjoyed helping unwrap the kisses and wrap the dough around them. And that is what I think this time of year is supposed to be all about – being in the kitchen with family doing things together.
Peppermint and Chocolate are another one of my favorite flavor combinations. Ok, so maybe I have a few too many favorites. But this one is pretty good. Pretty darn good. As I was about to name all the things I’ve posted with chocolate and peppermint, I realize there aren’t very many. There are some more cookies, and these candy cane cheesecake bites, and these mint Oreo brownies. That’s it!! I will try to remedy that soon, promise.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 30-32 Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped
- Heat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars.
- Add in the egg,water, and extracts. Mix well. Add flour, baking soda, and cocoa.
- Taking a small teaspoon of dough at a time flatten into a disc. Place an unwrapped kiss in the center then wrap and mold the dough around the kiss so it is completely covered and sealed in the dough.
- Repeat with rest of dough and kisses, placing them 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until they just barely begin to crack.
If you want to make them with the kiss on top, then just roll the dough into balls and place on the cookie sheets and bake for the same amount of time. As soon as they come out of the oven, place an unwrapped kiss in the middle of each cookie.
You Might Also Enjoy: