I might have mentioned before how much I love Thai food. It is definitely one of my favorite cuisines.
There are lots of wonderful recipes out there for Thai food at home, and some of them are actually somewhat simple and some are even fast.
One evening I was in the process of making a one-pot Mexican type rice and chicken dish and I thought “If I could make a Thai dish just like this, that would be awesome!”
It turned out so well, I just couldn’t wait to share it with you.
It’s a full and complete meal in one skillet! And in just a bit more than 30 minutes, it’s totally weeknight approved.
And not that this makes a difference to anyone else really, but my whole family loved it! Even the super picky ones!
Needless to say, it’s a winner at our house and we will be having this often.
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots, pepper and ginger.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions and peppers are soft.
- Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes until pink is gone, but not all the way since it will continue to cook.
- Push chicken and veggies to the side and add remaining oil and the rice. Cook for about 2 minutes until a few pieces of rice are golden brown.
- Place the peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds to loosen, then add coconut milk and whisk together.
- Add the coconut milk mixture and the chicken broth to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and lower heat to simmer. Simmer about 20-25 minutes until the rice is done and most of the liquid has absorbed.
- Serve immediately.
Another Recipe You Might Love…