I love me a good muffin. But sometimes good muffins are so hard to find. I’ve tried so many muffins that are either bland or boring or hard. These are none of those. They are full of moist, delicious flavor and they’re definitely not boring.
I was inspired by an Almond Joy flavored coffee creamer that I’d been using in my Hot Chocolate. There was a day where I wanted that flavor but I wanted it in more than a drink. I wanted it in something baked and delicious.
I’m so excited with the way these turned out! My whole family loved them too. And it wasn’t just the chocolate chips either. I know because my kids are really good at picking out only the parts they like, and they devoured the whole muffin. And one of them claims to not like coconut! Yet, she ate these with a smile on her face. That should tell you something. Give them a try!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin cups with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment of stand mixer, add butter and mix until combined.
- Combine eggs, milk, extracts and sour cream in a small bowl, then add them to the flour and butter mixture. Scrape down the bowl and blend well, But DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add coconut, oatmeal and chocolate chips and FOLD in gently.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tins, filling each almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan.
If you don't have mini chocolate chips, just use regular but give them a rough chop first. I almost prefer this way because there are bigger chunks of chocolate as well as little flakes all throughout the muffins.