We just recently finished our busiest season for birthdays (it’s not that busy, but we’ve got 2 within 2 weeks) and we survived.
My five year old has been talking about taking a treat into his class since the first day of school. And when it came down to it, he wanted something really exciting: Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I love a good fresh baked chocolate chip cookie. As a matter of fact, there are days when that’s really all I want.
But when I have a chance to make treats for lots of other people, I want to try something new or at least something a bit exciting.
So, I saw these soft chocolate chip cookies with malted milk in them, and I knew that I was going to try to convince my son that they were the same normal cookies he always helps me make.
Luckily, he doesn’t notice really what he’s putting in the bowl as long as he gets to put all of it in.
Plus, these Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies are absolutely delicious. In every way. They’re soft and full of chocolate chips and just enough malt flavor that they give the cookies a little something awesome! Let’s put it this way: for those that don’t like malt they won’t be able to tell that’s what it is, for those who do like malt it’ll be the best chocolate chip cookies they ever had.
To finish my story, we made these Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies on a Wednesday night and got them all ready for the next morning. That morning we were running late, as usual, and rushed to get everyone and everything (including the cookies) in the car on time. On the way to the school, the streets were unusually empty and a little bit slick. Sure enough when we got to the school, the place was deserted. We turned around and went home to find out that school had been delayed that day, and shortly after was cancelled.
So we were home all day together. With a bunch of really super delicious cookies. Luckily my husband was home too and he helped significantly.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- In medium bowl, combine flour, malted milk powder, baking powder, salt and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients until evenly incorporated, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Chill dough for 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scoop large (about 2 tablespoons) balls of dough onto a lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes until the edges are golden, but make sure not to overbake!
Adapted from Cookies and Cups
Another Recipe We Think You’ll Love…
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins
Leave a Reply