I don’t know about any of you, but I feel like December snuck up on me. I thought this year I had things under control and that I would be ready when the season finally got here.Then, Sunday morning my husband informed me it was the first. Of DECEMBER. Great. So much for having an advent calendar ready this year. I’ve only been working on it for three years, what’s one more? Oh, well. I guess I’ll just embrace it. Because I know I won’t remember again to get ready until the week before Thanksgiving. *sigh*
Now on to more important things. Like food.
Breakfast is hard to figure out. I’m always looking for new fun breakfast ideas for my family. After the large success of the eggnog scones, I began to think of other things that might benefit from a little seasonal up-do. So I took our favorite waffle recipe and switched out the buttermilk for the eggnog. The eggnog flavor in these waffles is not too strong, but paired with some maple syrup and topped with the whipped cream (spiked with a little more eggnog), they make for quite a scrumptious breakfast.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups eggnog
- for the whipped cream: 1 cup whipped cream, up to 1/4 cup eggnog, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl beat together eggs and melted butter, and then add the eggnog. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close iron top and cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.
- Whip the cream, eggnog, and powdered sugar until soft peaks form (it might not get as stiff as just whipped cream because of the eggnog, but it'll still taste great!).
- Top each waffle with maple syrup and the whipped cream and enjoy!
You Might Also Enjoy:
Leave a Reply