I know it might seem a bit ridiculous with the amount of coconut and key lime we have here at num’s the word, but I don’t see an end in sight. Once again, this is one that I’m super excited to share with you.
These cupcakes are seriously my favorite cupcakes that I have ever made. I think. Well, maybe I shouldn’t make such blanket statements. I’ve made some pretty darn good cupcakes. But these are definitely up there with the good ones.
They are a combination of some of my favorite flavors and in some of the best ways. The cupcakes are moist and have a fantastic coconut flavor. The frosting is amazingly flavorful with key lime and an added awesomeness of melted white chocolate.
I’ve made these a couple of times and they were a hit every time.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Pulse coconut in a food processor until finely ground.
- Mix together coconut milk and sour cream, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, ground coconut and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one. Add extracts.
- With mixer on low, add flour in three batches, alternating with two additions of coconut milk and sour cream. Beat after each addition until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- Frost with Key Lime White Chocolate Frosting and garnish with toasted coconut.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 5 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Melt the white chocolate by microwaving in a microwave safe bowl on medium power for 90 seconds. Stir, then microwave again, in 30 second intervals, if needed until it is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add the salt, vanilla, key lime juice and sour cream and mix until very smooth.
- Add the melted white chocolate and mix just until incorporated.
Adapted from Food Network
Wow! These sound like my favorite combos in one!
ohhhh, these look divine!
Debi @ Life Currents
Yummers! My mom would love these, and her b-day is coming up soon. I think I’ll have to try this. Thanks!
Yum, the perfect cupcakes for summer!
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads
These sound delicious! Gotta love cupcakes!
Michele @ Flavor Mosaic
Yum! Tropical cupcakes. Perfect for summer. Thanks for sharing.
I am loving this! Sounds sweet and refreshing at the same time!
Maggie @ The Love Nerds
I am not a huge coconut fan, but my family would love these! I will have to keep them in mind for my mom’s birthday.
The frosting on these is divine! I need to whip up a batch.
It seriously is, Krystal! Definitely spoon worthy;)
Emily @ It Bakes Me Happy
What a great flavor combo, yum! Also I love the new photos ladies, so cute and I just love how much natural light your kitchen has, jealous!
Thanks Emily! We were really excited with how the pictures turned out too! The light in the kitchen is my favorite part of my house, but sadly we’re moving and I’m really hoping to find something similar!