It is finally officially fall! I am so excited.
Although I did have a thought about why I love fall so much. It could be because I don’t like being hot and I like cooler weather clothes. Maybe that sounds weird. I seriously wear shorts all summer long and even if it’s still hot in the fall, because I don’t like being hot. So when the weather cools down and I can wear my favorite jeans and not feel uncomfortably warm, it makes me happy. Also, I love sweaters. Particularly cardigans. They go with just about everything and they cover up parts of me that aren’t so flattering. I have so many cardigans that at times I feel like Mr. Rogers. No kidding. Most days I dress like Mr. Rogers – in jeans and a cardigan (and yes, I even have one that I wear inside and I’ll change it before I go out). I am not ashamed.
Anyway…sorry for the rambling, I just really am excited for fall and these cupcakes are one of the reasons. I posted last week about my feelings on all things fall, and these definitely fit into that warm, comforting category. They’re nothing new or fancy, but that just helps to emphasize the simple flavors that are there. Brown sugar and brown butter. Warm and delicious goodness in every cupcake.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Add flour mixture in batches alternately with the buttermilk (Some of the flour, half of the buttermilk, more flour, rest of buttermilk, rest of flour) mixing until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat, swirling the pan to avoid burning.
- Continue to watch and swirl for a few minutes until light golden brown and there are a few brown pieces on the bottom of the pan, then remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla and then add the milk slowly as needed, adding more if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Immediately spread or spoon over cooled cupcakes.
Leave a Reply