We’ve been making this soup for awhile and it is one of my husband’s favorites. I initially made it at his request. Or, several requests.
I was just glad that I was able to find a version that 1. Didn’t take all day in the kitchen, and 2. Wasn’t full of any fake cheese (although that stuff does do a pretty good job making dip).
This soup is cheesy, creamy, with just enough of my family’s favorite vegetable (as in, the only one they eat willingly).
It also happens to be our favorite to have in these bread bowls. They make a great team. And we often make them together for a fabulous Sunday dinner along with a nice green salad.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp or even extra sharp
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped, lightly steamed broccoli
- Simmer chicken broth and onion for 15-20 minutes in small covered saucepan, until onions are soft.
- Heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes
- In a medium sized stockpot, melt butter and add flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then whisk in warmed milk.
- Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add warmed chicken broth and stir until well blended.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted. Stir in steamed broccoli.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Another Recipe You Might Love…
Leave a Reply