Chips and salsa are a staple at our house. We all love it. There’s only one problem: we don’t like the same kind of salsa.
I prefer fresh salsa with chunks, more like a pico de gallo. My husband, on the other hand, does not like any chunks. When we were first married, he was the guy that would dip the chip into the salsa just to get the flavor, but leave all the chunks until the jar was completely devoid of moisture.
But chips we have come to agree on. We both prefer chips made from baking tortillas. Our favorite is using whole wheat tortillas, but we also like white corn tortillas. We’ve even made some pretty awesome nachos with both kinds of chips. The whole wheat are our favorite because they are crispy as soon as they are done. The corn tortilla chips actually get better if they are left alone for a little while.
So, today I give you both chips and salsa two ways. Both whole wheat and corn tortilla chips and fresh salsa in both chunky and blended the way my husband likes. I hope you like them as much as we do.
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1 container grape tomatoes (or half tomatoes and half sweet golden sunbursts), cut in half
- Chop everything and mix in a medium bowl.
- Either leave as is, or put in a blender and blend until desired consistency.
- 6 whole wheat flour or white corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut tortillas with pizza cutter into triangles and lay in a single layer on cookie sheet (you will need to use 2 cookie sheets, or bake in batches).
- Spray the tortillas lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Bake for 3-6 minutes until just starting to brown (don't let them burn!). It will take a few more minutes for the corn tortillas (almost double the time).
- Serve with salsa or guacamole.
I LOVE salsa, so I need to give this a try!
(In fact, I have heartburn right now from the salsa I ate around midnight before falling asleep…lol! But it was worth it!)
– Brooke –
It usually is worth it, Brooke! It’s one of my favorite late night snacks too!
Maggie @ The Love Nerds
I love how simple this salsa recipe is! It sounds delicious and perfect to throw together for friends.
Thanks Maggie! Simple usually is the best!
I love homemade tortilla chips and fresh salsa! Pinning!
This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads
This looks so delicious!! I love chips and salsa any way I get get it!
Me too Sheena. Anyway and anytime!
Corinna - For My Love Of
Thank you so much for sharing this! Im such a chips and salsa junkie! Pinned 🙂
Thanks Corinna, me too!
One of the easiest and best snacks!
Who knew making chips and salsa was so easy! I am excited to try your recipe!
Joanne T Ferguson
G’day! Get the party started! Ole!