I’m not sure if taco is quite the right word to use for these, since they’re served on grilled flat bread. I know there is a name for something like this at taco bell. Is it a gordita? I don’t go there very often, obviously. But I can tell you right now that this recipe for Grilled Chicken Tacos is much better than anything you’ll get there.
We love to grill and so anytime we can move the cooking outside, we do it. I love me a good marinated chicken on the grill, and we decided to take it one step further and grill the bread part too.
These were just super tasty. My daughter could not stop talking about these for several days. Luckily this recipe made quite a bit and we had lots of leftovers, but she still thought that we should eat these tacos every day for the rest of her life.
The marinated chicken was awesome. Just a little bit of spice, but mostly just a lot of juicy and delicious flavor.
It takes a bit of time with the rising of the dough and the marinating of the chicken, so plan ahead. But once you’re ready and start grilling, these grilled chicken tacos come together quickly and is totally worth it!
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 lbs chicken (breasts or thighs)
- 1/2 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 recipe Creamy Jalapeno Dip
- for topping: avocado, tomato, lettuce, cheese, jalapeno slices, etc.
- For the dough, stir together warm water and sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt and olive oil.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir with wooden spoon until dough ball forms.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth, or about 5 minutes.
- Divide into thirty 2-inch balls and arrange on an oiled baking sheet. Brush the dough balls with oil and then cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to double in size (about an hour).
- Using your hands or a rolling pin on the floured surface, flatten each into a 6-inch circle. Poke with a fork and season with salt and pepper (light on the salt, remember there's a whole tablespoon already in there!).
- Place on the grill rack, then close the lid. Grill about 1-3 minutes each side or until browned.
- Mix hot sauce, lime juice, olive oil and garlic until combined.
- Place chicken in ziploc bag and then pour in the marinade. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- After marinading is done, remove chicken from bag and grill over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Let chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing into smaller pieces to place on the tacos.
- Top with lettuce, tomato, avocado or guacamole, and Creamy Jalapeno Sauce.
Leave a Reply